Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I Think Fall Is Coming...

My alarm clock went off and I groggily rolled out of bed.  I never know when Dillon is going to be up, so I got right into getting ready for the day.  I ran myself a bubble bath and just as I had begun to wash my hair, I hear Dillon at the gate in front of his bedroom door.  "Mommy..." he says.  I sigh.  I had just gotten into the bath.  "I'll be right out, honey, Mommy's in the tub!"  So I quick-like wash myself over and I can hear Dillon getting impatient.  He was starting to cry.  I rinsed the shampoo out of my hair in a hurry, drained the tub and threw a towel around myself.  "Mommy's coming!  Hang in there!"  When he's crying one minute can seem like 10.  I let him out of his room and then went and got myself dressed.  I made myself a quick and oh so glamorous breakfast of Honey Nut Chex Cereal before getting Dillon dressed to go to daycare.  It wasn't until I opened the front door that I realized I hadn't even looked outside yet this morning and was surprised to see that it was still a little dark out.  It was little bit chilly, too.  I almost considered grabbing a light jacket, but dismissed the thought as Dillon and I headed on our way to take on the day.

I have been anxiously waiting for Fall to come.  And this morning, it was looking like it was almost here!  Summer is nice...but I do think I like Fall and Winter the best.

Tonight was a night for leftovers.  Earlier in the week, I had made my own version of Katie Lee's Apricot-Glazed Braised Pork Chops.  The recipe is from her book, The Comfort Table.
Obviously, I used chicken, as that was what I had.
Here's the recipe:

1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (I actually used apple cider vinegar because I don't have red wine vinegar)
1/4 cup apricot jam
2 Tbsp. olive oil
6 boneless center-cut pork chops (Like I said, I used chicken breasts instead but this is super yummy with pork, too.)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, smashed
1 bay leaf

In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, mustard, vinegar and jam.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Season the pork chops (or chicken) with salt and pepper.  Place the pork chops (or chicken) in the hot oil and brown about 3 minutes per side.

Remove the pork chops (chicken) from pan and set aside.  Add the chicken stock mixture to the pan and deglaze the pan, scraping up the brown bits.  Add the garlic clove and bay leaf.  Reduce heat to a simmer.  Return the pork chops (chicken!) to the pan, cover and braise until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.  (I might have done a minute or two over just to make sure the chicken was cooked.)

Transfer the pork chops (You know!) to a serving dish and tent lightly with foil to keep warm.  Discard the garlic and bay leaf.  Bring the liquid to a rapid boil and reduce to a thick glaze, about 3 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Pour the glaze over the pork chops and serve.

This is super yummy prepared with the pork and with the chicken.

Anyways, back to leftovers.  I sliced up the chicken breast I had left and made a quick stir-fry with it.  Loaded with veggies and some brown rice.  Super easy dinner.  I like that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment